midtown again

David Bergdahl bergdahl at OAK.CATS.OHIOU.EDU
Thu Sep 14 14:18:58 UTC 2000

Reading abt "Midtown Plaza" made me remember that my first teaching job
was at Onondaga Community College in Syracuse, NY, which was located in
the upper floors of the former L. C. Smith typewriter factory,
rechristened "Midtown Plaza."  The factory was located on a major
east-west street (formerly a canal) across from the NY Central
RR-station (long since moved to East Syracuse, NY).  Midtown it wasn't
since the downtown was configured up and down Salina St, the major
north-south street. So the conjecture that "midtown" may be a
real-estate term for a newly developed commericial area, an area being
converted from one use to another, might be worth investigating.

-- db