Disc: Linguistics & Nominalising Languages

Mark A. Mandel Mark_Mandel at DRAGONSYS.COM
Thu Sep 14 15:48:43 UTC 2000

In #11.1927 Moonhawk writes:

Or "iyeska" in Lakota, meaning "mixed-blood" if you're talking about
someone's ancestry/culture, "translator" if about language, and "shaman"
if about the sacred. But they're still talking about the underlying
process of going between in each case, focusing on dancing not
dancers. Now it's true you could in some sense recover the noun IF you
know the context. Often, however, this is not culturally desired except
for teaching purposes, then dropped.
<<<<<

How is this different from the different/same meanings of the English word
"interpretation" (etymologically, 'taking between') when used in the
contexts of
     - a multilingual discussion
     - a dance performance
     - King Henry II's "Who will rid me of this meddlesome priest?" and the
assassination of Thomas Becket
? We see a unity of meaning in these cases that might well not appear in
another language. So how is "iyeska" especially relevant to the point
you're making?

   Mark A. Mandel : Dragon Systems, a Lernout & Hauspie company
          Mark_Mandel at dragonsys.com : Senior Linguist
 320 Nevada St., Newton, MA 02460, USA : http://www.dragonsys.com
                     (speaking for myself)