Directorly; Glitzkrieg; Rice Burner; Gone Fishing

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat Sep 16 20:00:46 UTC 2000

DIRECTORLY

     From the WALL STREET JOURNAL, 15 September 2000, pg. W6, col. 2:

     "Almost Famous," which was handsomely shot by John Toll, is also directorly, if there's such a word, in its swirl of confrontations, exultations, maipulations and seductions that depend less on the quality of the dialogue than on the subtlety and eloquence of the cast.

    There might not be such a word as "directorly," but there are some citations:

20 July 1995, ATLANTA JOURNAL-CONSTITUTION, pg. G2--Q: Have you had any directorly blow-ups?

14 February 1999, NEWSDAY (Long Island, NY), pg. D5--...Shekhar Kapur, of the much more directorly "Elizabeth"...

GLITZKRIEG

     From the NEW YORK PRESS, September 13-19, 2000, pg. 15, col. 3:

     I (Melik Kaylan--ed.) like to call it "The Glitzkrieg," and it certainly killed Princess Di.

     There are a bunch of "glitkriegs," including:

13 October 1988, LOS ANGELES TIMES, pg. 1--Fame Comes Out Swinging in First Round of Glitzkrieg.

June 1990, SELF, pg. 74--Dani Shapiro's Literary Glitzkrieg.

4 January 1996, WALL STREET JOURNAL, pg. A1--Glitzkrieg: How S. I. Newhouse Jr. Is Leading a Makeover Of COnde Nast Empire.

RICE BURNER

     This week's "The Straight Dope" by Cecil Adams (www.straightdope.com and various freebie newspapers) mentions the sound a Harley-Davidson makes.  "Rice burner" bike manufacturers are mentioned.
    "Rice burner" is mentioned in the LOS ANGELES TIMES, 23 May 1988, pg. 4.  I didn't see it in my OED online, so I don't know what OED has (if anything).  Nothing, Jess??

GONE FISHING

"I'm going fishing."
--U. S. nuclear scientist Wen Ho Lee, who was held in solitary confinement for many days, then released on one meaningless charge, on what he planned to do next.

    Maybe scientists aren't allowed in Disneyworld?
    An interesting book that just turned up on the NYPL shelves is:

KEN SCHULTZE'S
FISHING ENCUCLOPEDIA
WORDLWIDE ANGLING GUIDE
IDG Books, 2000

   This thing is huge.  There is no special "slang" section, but it appears to be a useful starter for fishing terminology.