Tavern Weekly News (continued)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Sep 17 19:57:36 UTC 2000

    This continues my reading of the Illinois version of TAVERN WEEKLY NEWS, especially the column "The Barman's COrner" by Patrick Murphy.  Curiously, I tried a WorldCat search and didn't find the publication!

27 May 1940, "THE BARMAN'S CORNER" by Patrick Murphy, pg. 9, cols. 5-6--(Brief mention of Tom Collins--ed.)

3 June 1940, Murphy column, pg. 8, cols. 1-3--(John and Tom Collins--ed.)

15 July 1940, Murphy column, pg. 9, cols. 1-3--("Chilled wines." Suggestion of GOP cocktail for Wendell WIllkie--ed.)

22 July 1940, Murphy column, pg. 9, cols. 1-2--(Cape Cod Collins--ed.)

5 August 1940, Murphy column, pg. 9, cols. 1-4--(PARADISE COCKTAIL recipe in col. 2, credited to Leo G. Wolff of the Waldorf Hotel in 1909.  Wollf wrote in,  Discussion of Coronation Cocktail--ed.)

12 August 1940, Murphy column, pg. 8, cols. 2-4--(Jack Rose Cocktail--ed.)

26 August 1940, Murphy column, pg. 13, cols. 1-3--(Brandy Cocktail--ed.)  Col. 2:
     Barmen suffer almost as much from "waiter's foot" as do waiters themselves.  "Waiter's foot," in case you don't know, is a somewhat general expression used to cover flat feet, bunions, warped arches and other signs of a pair of feet that has been both used and abused.

2 September 1940, Murphy column, pg. 6, cols. 4-5--(ANGEL'S TIP or Angel's Kiss--ed.)

16 September 1940, pg. 8, col. 5:
     This column would also like to revive a bit of discussion which centered about the name and origin of the Jack Rose Cocktail.  We maintained that the name probably derived from the drink itself, since it is based on applejack (hence "Jack") and took several splashes of grenadine which made it red (hence "Rose").
     We have been informed that one Joe Rose not only claimed to have invented the cocktail many years ago, but actually won a medal from the old Police Gazette for entering the mixture in a cocktail competition they had.  Since he was a Jersey resident, probably partial to applejack, this makes some sense, but we've still got to be shown.

23 September 1940, Murphy column, pg. 7, cols. 1-2--(Buchanan Cocktail, Peach Bubble, and Kill Devil--ed.)

30 September 1940, Murphy column, pg. 6, cols. 4-5--(Recipes for Alaska Cocktail, Americano, Aviation Cocktail, Bacardi Flyer, Bamboo Cocktail, Between-the-Sheets, Bijou Cocktail, Black Velvet, Blackthorn Cocktail, Blue Moon Cocktail, Bobby Burns Cocktail, Cream Fizz, President or El Presidente, French 75, Gibson, Bradford Cocktail, Gin and It--ed.)

7 October 1940, Murphy column, pg. 7, cols. 4-5--(Discussion of steam beer.  Recipes for Columbus Cocktail, Queen Anne Cocktail, Plimpton Cocktail, Sam Ward Cocktail--ed.)

14 October 1940, Murphy column, pg. 6, cols. 4-5--(Death of old barman Louis Chiosay, of Delmonico's and Hotel McAlpin--ed.)

21 October 1940, Murphy column, pg. 9, cols. 4-5--(Recipes for Gin Buck, Golden Fizz, Greta Garbo, Horse's Neck, Hunter Cocktail, Mamie Taylor, Merry Widow Cocktail, Millionaire Cocktail, Mint Julep, New Orleans Fizz, Saratoga Cocktail, September Morn Cocktail, Shamrock COcktail, Shandy Gaff, Spritzer--ed.)

28 October 1940, Murphy column, pg. 9, cols. 1-3--(More on steam beer, Coronation Cocktail--ed.)

27 January 1941, Murphy column, pg. 5, cols. 2-5--(New Orleans and the Sazarac, or Zazerac--ed.)

17 February 1941, Murphy column, pg. 6, cols. 4-5--(Zombie and Papaya Nectar and Passion Fruit--ed.)

7 April 1941, Murphy column, pg. 5, cols. 1-2--(Stonewall Cocktail and Stone Fence--ed.)

14 April 1941, Murphy column, pg. 10, cols. 3-4--(Picon Punch and New Orleans Fizz--ed.)

12 May 1941, Murphy column, pg. 5, cols. 1-3--(Tequila.   "Hair of the dog" phrase--ed.)

19 May 1941, Murphy column, pg. 8, col. 2:
     We mention this only because he (columnist Westbrook Pegler, visiting Tombstone--ed.) added a reference to a "bartician," which is the first coinage we've ever heard of that term.

26 May 1941, pg. 4, cols. 1-2--(Suggested Vodka Recipes are Vodka Old Fashion Cocktail, Vodka Collins, Gypsy Queen, Vodka Side Car Cocktail, Vodka Perfect Cocktail, Vodka Highball--ed.)

2 June 1941, Murphy column, pg. 8, cols. 1-2--(Millionaire Cocktail and Picon Punch--ed.)

16 June 1941, Murphy column, pg. 10, cols. 1-4--(Fu Manchu, Jose Grunt, Myrtle Bank, Polynesian Luau drinks--ed.)  Col. 3:
     Every so often you'll read in the newspapers an item which says that so and so "invented" the Blankety-Blank Cocktail.  These claims are always hard to prove or disprove.  This is brought to mind by a memo I have written to myself which (Col. 4--ed.) says that the Zaza Cocktail was named after Mrs. Leslie Carter when she appeared in a play of the same name.  Event took place in Martin's Cafe on Ninth St., N. Y., during the early 1900's, I guess.
     Another memo of mine tells me the Alexander Cocktail was named after a bartender who first made this brandy & creme de cacao combination a white hue (with cream) in honor of the Phoebe Snow Birthday Party.  Could be.

(TO BE CONTINUED.  TYPIST IS POOPED.)