Back Vowel Phonemes

Wed Sep 20 15:09:37 UTC 2000

Again, the oldtime Northern system.  But here in southern Ohio, John and
Don (and Dawn) veer more toward ), though they're phonetically closer to
the 'turned (script) a', as in Brit Eng 'pot'.  I wonder if this is what
Terry is hearing in northern Kentucky?  Which phoneme to attach that to is
the issue, isn't it?  (Autobahn may be another story, since it's a learned
word.)