Nigger in the Woodpile

Karl J. Krahnke krahnke at LAMAR.COLOSTATE.EDU
Wed Sep 20 22:17:44 UTC 2000

One of my linguist colleagues, of Irish origin, offers the form "dog in a
manger" in the sense of "an element in the whole that screws things up."

As usual, Herb Stahlke and I, who share backgrounds to a great degree, agree
on the meanings we grew up with.

Karl Krahnke
Colorado State University