Query: Pejoratives for Liberals

AAllan at AOL.COM AAllan at AOL.COM
Fri Sep 22 17:46:52 UTC 2000

Interesting observation -

<< euphemisms where compassionate conservative won out over other selections,
none critical of the looney left >>

There's no question, it seems to me, that ADS members tend to be liberal in
their politics; and implausible euphemisms are generally discovered by ADS
folk in the rhetoric of conservatives and Republicans rather than elsewhere.

I've noticed this more blatantly in the National Council of Teachers of
English committee on public doublespeak, whose awards for misleading the
public almost always are critical of conservative expressions, not liberal
ones. Quite understandable if you believe truth resides among the liberals
and duplicity among conservatives.

No great harm, as long as we don't pretend we're neutral observers. And as
long as we don't apply a political test to members; which we don't. After
all, as Barry often reminds us, William Safire is an ADS member.

- Allan Metcalf