New England "a"

Nathan H Brown natebrown1 at JUNO.COM
Fri Sep 22 19:26:33 UTC 2000

I'm doing a paper for an independent study course on New England dialect.
One thing I want to focus on is the New England use of a sound close to
/a/, instead of the General American flat "a" of "pat" and "back," in
some words. If anyone on the list is either from New England or has spent
enough time in New England to know, please tell me which sound you
(and/or other people you know from New England ) would use in the
following words (include where in New England you heard it):

1. half
2. bath
3. ask
4. last