Spelling names; Was Stress on final syllable of names

Grant Barrett gbarrett at MONICKELS.COM
Mon Sep 25 05:41:21 UTC 2000

On lundi 25 septembre 2000, Victoria Neufeldt
<vneufeldt at MERRIAM-WEBSTER.COM> wrote:
>I had a friend of Icelandic heritage years ago who used to have
to explain
>that her name was spelled "with a K, a J, and two S's".  It was
>"Kristjansson" and people always wanted to spell it
>"Christianson".

I always tells people my name is spelled with two R's, two T's,
and two B's.

The two B's always makes them think long enough about how
they're spelling Barrett that I rarely end up with the too-common error
of Grant Barnett.

It comes from the Jack Benny show. Something like:

Rochester: "Boss, I made you a  birthday cake."

Jack: "Thank you, Rochester. How thoughtful."

Rochester: "But I got a problem. How many P's in Happy?"

Jack: "Two."

Rochester: "Uh oh."

Jack: "Now you'll have to squeeze one in."

Rochester: "No, I used three. I gotta take one off!"