Post-Valley of the Beautiful Women

Aaron E. Drews aaron at LING.ED.AC.UK
Tue Sep 26 09:35:04 UTC 2000

Bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:

>     I have no idea if Hungarian is or is not a Slavic language.

As others have said, no it isn't.

> She told me that there are Hungarians in Nepal, and that she could understand the Nepalese
> alphabet.

Well, the Magyars started off in central Asia, I think somewhere between
Siberia and Mongolia.  It's possible that they travelled to Nepal, isn't
it?
After all, they got as far as Finland and Hungary.  And the
Indo-Europeans -
in a variety of flavors: Roman, Celtic, Gothic - got everywhere.

--Aaron

Aaron E. Drews                               The University of Edinburgh
aaron at ling.ed.ac.uk                  Departments of English Language and
http://www.ling.ed.ac.uk/~aaron       Theoretical & Applied  Linguistics

Bide lang an fa fair                    Awa whair nae man has gaun afore