Post-Valley of the Beautiful Women

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Sep 26 01:09:54 UTC 2000

>Bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:
>
>>      I have no idea if Hungarian is or is not a Slavic language.
>
>As others have said, no it isn't.
>
>>  She told me that there are Hungarians in Nepal, and that she could
>>understand the Nepalese
>>  alphabet.
>
>Well, the Magyars started off in central Asia, I think somewhere between
>Siberia and Mongolia.  It's possible that they travelled to Nepal, isn't
>it?
>After all, they got as far as Finland and Hungary.  And the
>Indo-Europeans -
>in a variety of flavors: Roman, Celtic, Gothic - got everywhere.

Well, maybe so, but the Nepalese alphabet, based on Devanagari,
doesn't have much to do with anything here.  And any relation between
the Indic language Nepalese (or any of the other equally Indic
languages spoken in Nepal), and the Finno-Ugric Hungarian...well, one
may remain skeptical.  Or do we also want to claim that Sanskrit is
related to Hungarian?

I'm sure there are Hungarians in Nepal, along with Italians,
Japanese, and even Americans (including my son at the moment), but
that's neither here nor there either.

larry