sullen but not mutinous

Bob Fitzke fitzke at VOYAGER.NET
Tue Sep 26 18:58:09 UTC 2000

Just for the record, I've quoted the Hickman phrase since reading it in
the 40s or early 50s. My recollection of what I read is only slightly
different than GAT's. My version: Hickman once said that, "The proper
frame of mind for the alumni is sullen but not mutinous."

It brings to mind another phrase I remember reading around the same time
from another coach. I think it was Jake Gaither who once said, "A
football player should be a-gile, mo-bile, and hostile." I always
thought he should have said, "a-gile, mo-bile, hostile, and eligi-bile."

Bob