Spelling names

Mark A. Mandel Mark_Mandel at DRAGONSYS.COM
Wed Sep 27 15:21:27 UTC 2000

"Karl J. Krahnke" <krahnke at LAMAR.COLOSTATE.EDU> writes:

So what do I do with my name?  KRAHNKE

Graphotactically, when I "spell" it for folks, they very frequently write
KAR ...

Even when I say, "K" (pause) "R" (pause).
<<<<<

ESPECIALLY when you spell it slowly, since a slow [kEj] is almost
indistinguishable from a normally-slurred [kEjej]. How about

     KRA (pause) H,N,K,E [last four letters slowly]. Would you read that
back to check, please?

"Steve K." <stevek at SHORE.NET> writes:

Even when I spell it, slowly, they get it wrong. My kith and I
usually just throw in the towel.
<<<<<

You mean "kin"? Kith are friends.

-- Mark, in pedantic mode