Boody

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Sep 27 04:03:05 UTC 2000

At 11:11 AM -0400 9/27/00, Douglas G. Wilson wrote:
>>"My boody and my cookie and my titi hurt."
>
>I don't know 'cookie' or 'titi' but in my boyhood 'boody'/'booty' was an
>exact equivalent of 'ass': e.g., "I got a piece of boody", "I'll kick your
>boody", "Up your boody", etc., etc. -- that is, with the sense of
>'vulva'/'sex' as well as that of 'buttocks'/'anus'. I always assumed this
>was a corruption of 'body'. It's still current, but I'm not sure of the
>exact sense usually. The song says "Shake your boody", doesn't it? What is
>it -- precisely -- that one is being encouraged to shake?
>
>The word appears in Chapman's dictionary and in Spears'. Perhaps it is
>largely a 'black' word as Chapman indicates.

I've usually seen it spelled "bootie" or "booty", but Spears' slang
dictionary (I don't have my RHHDAS on me at the moment) does indeed
have both "boody" and "bootie" spellings and, as Doug notes, various
senses ranging from 'the buttocks' to 'the female genitals, esp. the
vagina' to 'coition, esp. in the phrase "get some boody"' to 'women
considered sexually' to 'male coition per anum', the last of which
required a second look to realize it didn't mean once a year.

larry