Genitalia

Bill Smith wh5mith at MINDSPRING.COM
Thu Sep 28 03:16:22 UTC 2000

        I seem to owe an apology to those who did not realize that my
"prurience" comment was tongue-in-cheek.  Still, you must admit that Jesse
Sheidlower got more attention by writing _The F-Word_ (hardly a book to be
read for its pornographic content) than he would have if he had chosen to
write about, say, "science" (although that too has some interesting
etymological relatives).
        This is indeed linguistic research, seeking answers of the type that
I received for "possible."  That is why I ask for the pronunciation of
"nishi."  If it is [niSI], a likely source is French "niche."  If it is
[nISI], "knish" is the likely candidate (but see below).
        As always in linguistics, one answer means at least two new questions:
                Is "possible" ever used for "genitals" except in the context
of "as far as possible"?
                Is there a word for terms like "possible" that euphemize (is
that a word?) by making a joke?
                Is "knish" alone ever used for "genitals"?  Is there a
foodstuff called "split knish," or is "split" added to specify "genitals"?
                What would "Gladys Spiegelman" be rhyming slang for?
        I don't find "connie" transparent, unless it has remained buried for
a hundred years (older "cunny"), and the same for "poonani."  Is Jessie
Emerson's "nunu"  an indication that [nVnV] is used for "genitals," etc.?
(Some use [nene] or [nini] for "breasts.)
        Not having a vagina, I find it hard to think that the initialism
"VA" would be used (I would suspect at least "VAG," or, more likely in my
mind, [vaej]).  Is anyone familiar with it?
Bill