Eunoch books

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Sep 28 16:22:36 UTC 2000

    Greetings from Budapest.  I just got in here, after spending the whole day tracking the wild water buffalo on the Hortobagyi.  I've got just a few minutes before dinner, and this internet place will close when dinner is over.

NEW YORK TRIBUNE--David Shulman and I knew about the New York Tribune index years ago (NOT all years!), and we went through most of the stuff.  Nevertheless, I check with George Thompson if that database is available at NYU.

EUNOCH BOOKS--My tour guide said that the library at Drebrecen had "eunoch" books.  She meant to say "unique" books.  I like my writing with balls.
  One book was opened to "Amerigo Vespucci"--something I'm always interested in.  I asked what the book was, and my tour guide said "it's an old book."  The librarian also confirmed that this was "an old book."  No kidding!

FORE-RUNNER--My tour guide also said that something was a "foreigner."  It was a "fore-runner."

GOOD LUCK LAND MINES--My tour guide stepped in an animal land mine.  She said that there's a Hungarian saying, and that it's good luck to step in dung.  I avoided good luck today.

HUNGARY NOTES--Hungary is cheap!  Norway was expensive!  Internet, for example, is one dollar per half hour!  Many meals are only a dollar or two.  However, for me, spending only a few days, the difference doesn't amount to much.  Still, it's nice.
   Hungary says that it began in 1000, and it considers itself 1000 years old this years (2000).  Avoid eating the birthday cakes with candles.