back vowel fronting

Fri Sep 29 15:42:54 UTC 2000

What Herb is hearing and Dennis is footnoting is indeed common in SE
Ohio:  'pool', ''pull', and even 'pole' may be homophones, all laxed to
either /U/ or /^/ (stressed schwa).  The same goes for 'steel' and 'still'
and 'fail' and 'fell'--laxing to /I/ and /E/.  But this was noted in the
early '70s, at least.  The fronting and gliding that Dave refers to is
different; there's no glide in the centralizing Herb refers to, I suspect.

I'd disagree with Dave on the nonstigmatizing of 'measure' though:  My grad
students in linguistics notice the /e/ pronunciation all the time and
comment on it, as do undergrads from out of this region.  In fact, one grad
student used both pronunciations in one utterance just the other day, and
his listeners jumped on it immediately:  He used /E/ in the noun and /e/ in
the verb and was quite surprised to have the distinction called to his
attention.  He's from Toledo but has been in SE Ohio for 5 years now, and I
suggested that he's picked up the verbal /e/ because the verb is more
commonly used than the noun--I hear it all the time.