Bucharest bits (continued)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat Sep 30 13:38:57 UTC 2000

   Just back from my walking tour of Bucharest.
   Dictionary.oed.com has me endlessly staring at a screen that does nothing.

THAI POP

   From the INTERNATIONAL HERALD TRIBUNE, 29 September 2000, pg. 24, cols. 4-6:

_Swede Brings New Meaning to Thai Pop_
(...) Luk thung began with the ancient music of central Thailand...
(Col. 5--ed.)  Included in this revival was luk thung's wild country cousin _mor lam_ (OED?--ed.), from barren, impoverished Issan...

PANNONIA HUNGARICA ANTIGUA
ITINERARIUM HUNGARICUM
121 pages
Archaeolingua press, Budapest, 1998

   There is a nice glossary on pages 108-121.
   I don't know what OED has on this one, from pg. 114, col. 2:

_macellum_--the row of shops (_tabernae_) situated around the peristyl-hall of the marketplace.  A circular building in the middle of the courtyard (_tholos_), either a cult place or the dwelling of the market-inspector.

     From BUCURESTI, August-September 2000, "Culinary Geography," pg. 49, col. 1:

     Starting in Valachia, we find people like to eat soup; chicken soup with home-made noodles or with mince meatballs--"perisoare."  A typical menu will also include marinated meat loaves, chicken with apricot or duck with black olives.  They enjoy poached eggs with a Romanian polenta called "mamalinga" (OED?--ed), and the well-known "mititei" (OED?--ed.), a specialty of grilled mincemeat (of pork, beef, or sheep).
     (...)
     Transylvanian cuisine pools the best of Romanian, German, and Hungarian traditions.  Pork and beef sour soup, cabbage a la Cluj (with mince meat and sour cream), roast meat a la Mures, smoked sausages, sour cherry soup with sour cream, kurtos-kolacs (Hungarian cake with browned sugar and nuts), pogace (made of dough with scraps) are all found here.
     Heading back east, cooking in Moldavia's cast-iron kettle we find fried chicken, spiced bean seed paste and tochitura (mamaliga with cheese, fried eggs, fried pork, meat chips and scraps).  You'll also find sarmalute, a cabbage or vine rouleaux filled with mincemeat and rice.  On Easter and Christmas Moldavians bake cozonac, a sweet cake-like bread with raisins and nuts.
     Finally, reaching the Black Sea, Dobrogea presents its cuisine with a Balkanic influence.  Sheep milk yogurt, cow tripe soup, cheese pie, pilaf with raisins, Dobrogean salas (tomatoes, green peppers, cucumbers, sliced hard-boiled eggs, grated cheese, hot chilly peppers), fisherman's borsch, grilled sturgeon, roasted lamb, sheep salad meat and Turkish sweet cake--"halvah"--are all found here.