Query about address

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Mon Apr 2 14:36:05 UTC 2001

>Any Professor Bobs or Professor Janes out there?
>
>Lecturer Lynne

In seriousness, I am sure that I have been addressed as "Professor Doug"
during the last week. The "Professor" of course is humorous (I'm a
blue-collar Pittsburgh guy).

In the medical field, and in some others, the designation "Doctor" is
tenaciously insisted upon. If a certain medical department included both
Dr. Michael Murphy and Dr. Lynn Murphy, for example, it can be assumed that
one would hear "Dr. Mike" and "Dr. Lynn" or so. I have encountered an
exactly analogous case myself.

-- Doug Wilson