ambiguous "pass on X" (was: Re: Webeo ("web video"))

Mark A. Mandel Mark_Mandel at DRAGONSYS.COM
Tue Apr 3 15:23:02 UTC 2001

Gareth Branwyn <garethb2 at EARTHLINK.NET> writes:

It's been in my queue, but I can't bring myself to publish it, and
therefore encourage the spread of such a horrific coinage. I passed on
                                                             *********
"webisode" when it was starting to gain some currency for the same
reason. That might have been more irresponsible on my part, as there
were clearly multiple cites, but at this point, I think only Def Jam
Records is using "webeos."
<<<<<

I had to check the context to disambiguate this use between
     "pass" as in playing bridge
     'I declined to do something with it'
     "on" as preposition = 'with respect to'
     "I passed on X" as the only possible word order
and
     "pass" as in playing football
     'I relayed it'
     "on" as adverb = 'further, in continuation'
     "I passed X on" obligatory if the obj. is pronominalized, but
          Heavy NP Movement can yield "I passed on NP", creating an
          ambiguity

-- Mark