Italian Cookbooks (1900-1937)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Apr 5 23:48:15 UTC 2001

   This week's NEW YORK OBSERVER, 9 April 2001, pg. 4, prints a letter to the editor with the headline:  HOW ABOUT "MACHELORETTE"?
   That's not funny!...Really, I'm just looking for anyone out there who can cook.

RECIPES OF ITALIAN COOKERY
translated and arranged by Maria Girongi
Fourth Edition
Gaskill & Webb, London
1900

Pg. 20:  Soup alla Lombarda.

Pg. 59:  Turkey alla Principessa.

Pg. 100:  Pana Montata.

SIMPLE ITALIAN COOKERY
by Antonia Isola
Harper & Brothers, New York
1912

Pg. 4:  Stracciatella Soup.

Pg. 14:  Ribbon Macaroni.  (Pasta fatta in Casa.  Fettuccini)

Pg. 25:  Polenta Pasticciata.

Pg. 39:  Codfish "alla Marinaia."  (Not "Marinara"--ed.)

Pg. 56:  Bocconcini.

LEAVES FROM OUR TUSCAN KITCHEN,
OR HOW TO COOK VEGETABLES
by Janet Ross
J. M. Dent, London
First edition...1899
Reprinted...1900, 1903, 1905
With Additions...1908, 1911, 1914

Pg. 57:  Maccaroni "alla Bechamel."

Pg. 63:  OTHER PASTES.

Pg. 64:  Crescioni.

Pg. 67:  Spaghetti "al Forno."

Pg. 71:  Tortelli.

Pg. 109:  "All' Italiana" Salad.

Pg. 152:  Battuffoli.

Pg. 161:  Ravioli.

GOOD FOOD FROM ITALY:
A RECEIPT BOOK
By Countess Morphy
LONDON
CHATTO & WINDUS
1937

Pg. 1:  HORS-D'OEUVRE or _anti-pasti_ have figured conspicuously in the gastronomic history of Italy for some considerable time.

Pg. 3:  An unusual _anti-pasto_ is tunny-fish cheese...

Pg. 16:  SOUP A LA CERTOSINA.

Pg. 18:  LOMBARDY SOUP.

Pg. 55:  "CASONSEI."

Pg. 56:  "CHIZZE."

Pg. 60:  STUFFED "LASAGNE."

Pg. 61:  MACARONI A LA MARINARA
(Maccheroni alla marinara)
The boiled and drained macaroni is mixed with tomato sauce (see p. 168) to which 1 or 2 tablespoons of capers and a few stoned olives have been added.

Pg. 81:  "FRITTO MISTO" A LA FIORENTINA.

Pg. 101:  VEAL CUTLET A LA MILANESE.

Pg. 106:  "DRUNKEN PORK."

Pg. 107:  VEAL STEW A LA MILANESE.
(L' osso buco alla milanese)

Pg. 116:  CHICKEN A LA CACCIATORA.
(Pollo alla cacciatora (Firenze))

Pg. 155:  "LUPINI."

Pg. 158:  CAKE WITH SHORT CRUST A LA NAPOLITANA
(Pizza "figliata" alla napolitana)
The _pizze_ or cakes are among the most characteristic preparations made at Easter-time and each province in Italy has its own special one, with slight variations.
   This particular one consists of a square sheet of short crust, thinly rolled out, coated with honey and sprinkled with chopped nuts, almonds, chopped mixed candied peel and mixed spices.

Pg. 166:  RAGU SAUCE A LA BOLOGNESE
(Il ragu alla bolognese)

ITALIAN COOK BOOK
Adopted from the Italian of
PELLEGRINO ARTUSI
by
JOSEPH V. DI CECCO
S. F. VANNI, New York City
1940

Pg. 92:  BOOK-LIKE PIZZA.

Pg. 131:  OSSO-BUCO
   This is a Milanese specialty, but I will describe it for you as well as I can.  Osso-buco is a piece of bone, having a hole at the end of either the leg or shoulder of milk-fed veal with meat around it.  It is usually cooked in a sort of pot roast style. (...)