Surf-and-Skate; Crabgrass; Movie Quotations; Pooparazzi

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Apr 8 16:22:39 UTC 2001

SURF-AND-SKATE

   An article about clothing in the INVESTOR'S BUSINESS DAILY, 9 April 2001, pg. A14, col. 4, uses the term "surf and skate."  Pacific Sunwear's chief financial officer said, "We're not mixing any surf-and-skate brands in there."
   A quick check shows this is used much more often than "skate and surf."

CRABGRASS

   A quotation in last Friday's NEW YORK TIMES was:  "I'm like crabgrass.  They can't get rid of me."
   I don't know if Fred Shapiro has any "crabgrass."

MOVIE QUOTATIONS

   CASSELL'S MOVIE QUOTATIONS, by Nigel Rees, has 13 quotations from SOME LIKE IT HOT (1959), but "don't call us, we'll call you" is _not_ one of them.  One imagines, for a book like this, that Rees read the actual script.  I think I do remember the quotation in the movie, though.  Maybe Rees just failed to record it?
   A HAMMETT bio on PBS last week showed THE GLASS KEY, which used the phrase "stick it in your ear."  The movie is not in this book.

POOPARAZZI

   From WIRED, "Jargon Watch" by Gareth Branwyn, May 2001, pg. 76:

_Pooparazzi_
Nickname for a pill-sized video camera that takes pictures of a patient's gastrointestinal system.

   Shouldn't that be "pooparazzo"?
   This beats out the fast-rising "webeo"?