Fwd: origins of "faggot"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Apr 9 00:21:17 UTC 2001

Cross-post from Outil on the history of "faggot".  Can anyone confirm
or (more likely) disconfirm?
I'll cross-post relevant results back to Outil.  RHHDAS doesn't give
an origin, but it does indicate (via OED cites) that an apparently
earlier meaning of 'woman' was around since the early 19th c. and, if
a wayward citing from 1591 is correctly interpreted, from much
earlier than the 19th c.  There's a nice cite from Joyce's Ulysses
("That old faggot Mrs. Riordan") and a listing from an 1873 slang
dictionary ('a term of reproof for women and children:  "you little
faggot you"') that illustrates a broader use as a term of abuse.  No
connection is made in this listing with the non-slang 'bag of sticks'
item.

There's a general trend for semantic change along the lines of
'woman, girl' > 'woman/girl/child' > 'effeminate male' > 'homosexual
man', as illustrated by 'fairy', inter alia.  It's plausible (at
least to me) based on the OED/RHHDAS data that 'faggot' developed in
similar ways.  Since I don't know of any practice of bundling and/or
burning women and children, I tend to discount the history posited
below.

larry
--- begin forwarded text
[outil post]

I know that we've gone over this many times, but could Ron or someone else
remind me of the origins of "faggot"?  Somehow, I find myself doubting the
one given below.