"Inmates Running the Asylum"

Baker, John JBaker at STRADLEY.COM
Mon Apr 9 13:41:30 UTC 2001

        The concept, if not the words, is an old one, dating back at least
to Edgar Allan Poe's short story, "The System of Doctor Tarr and Professor
Fether."  A quick Internet search provides various dates, from 1844 to 1856,
but obviously the story in reality cannot be any later than Poe's death in
1849.  From the version at

http://www.textual.net/poe/tarrandfether.htm

>>And, sure enough, one fine morning the keepers found themselves pinioned
hand and foot, and thrown into the cells, where they were attended, as if
they were the lunatics, by the lunatics themselves, who had usurped the
offices of the keepers. <<

John Baker