Who's buried in Grant's tomb? (1964)

Grant Smith gsmith at MAIL.EWU.EDU
Fri Apr 13 16:03:22 UTC 2001

Groucho, I believe, was using an old joke everyone was expected to know.
As a small boy, I remember people ribbing me with this question in the
mid-40s.  -Grant smith

>This isn't meant as an early cite, right?  Because it was a favorite
>question Groucho Marx used on his TV quiz show "You Bet Your Life."  I
>don't know what specific years the show ran, but it was sometime in the
>50s.  (I think the Plymouths in the commercials were even pre-tailfin.)
>Groucho used it as a bonus or gift question after a contestant had
>successfully answered a number of real ones.  I assume he didn't make it
>up, though I suppose he might have.
>
>Peter Mc.
>
>--On Thursday, April 12, 2001 6:53 PM +0000 Bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:
>
>> WHO'S BURIED IN GRANT'S TOMB?
>>
>>    Not Grant.  He's above the ground--not buried.  Gotcha!
>>    Who started the question (also, "Where is Grant buried?")?
>>    The question is one of five in an ad for GOOD HOUSEKEEPING in the NEW
>>    YORK HERALD TRIBUNE, 27 May 1964, pg. 44, col. 2:

>                               Peter A. McGraw
>                   Linfield College   *   McMinnville, OR
>                            pmcgraw at linfield.edu

Grant W. Smith, Immediate Past President        Phone:  509-359-6023
American Name Society                           Fax:    509-359-4269
Chair, Placename Survey of the United States
Prof. English/Coord. Humanities                 Email:  gsmith at ewu.edu
Eastern Washington University, MS-25
250 Patterson Hall
Cheney, WA  99004-2430