Of matchboxes and things

Mark A. Mandel Mark_Mandel at DRAGONSYS.COM
Fri Apr 13 18:21:11 UTC 2001

Rudolph C Troike <rtroike at U.ARIZONA.EDU> writes:

        I used to be delighted daily in Austin, Texas, to drive in to The
University and pass successively two signs: Kitchen Apartments and
Bachelor Apartments.
<<<<<

In a parallel non-syntactic delight, a sign on the ground floor entrance of my company's office reads:

     RECEIVING:  FIRST FLOOR
     RECEPTION:  SECOND FLOOR

My mental box for all such peculiar irregularities of English is labeled "Pity the Foreigner".

--Mark

   Mark A. Mandel : Dragon Systems, a Lernout & Hauspie company
          Mark_Mandel at dragonsys.com : Senior Linguist
 320 Nevada St., Newton, MA 02460, USA : http://www.dragonsys.com