non-inverting wh-questions in New Orleans

Daniel Ezra Johnson ezra_50 at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon Apr 16 06:12:15 UTC 2001

This was very prevalent in the speech of the high school students I taught
in Crowley, LA (in 1998-99). It was not limited to blacks nor to those of
Cajun ancestry. However, I did think of it as a substratum-type thing,
perhaps without justification.

But the lack of inversion was not limited to Wh-questions. Yes-no questions,
whether with auxiliary or regular verb, showed the same lack of inversion
(and therefore, with main verbs there was no do-support).

So when students would say, for example, "I can go to the restroom?" it was
hard for me to remember that this didn't have the same pragmatics as in my
dialect -- it was just how they formed the question.

DEJ