Smiley (1964); Egg Cream; The Way It Is; THE GAME; Hackers

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Apr 16 23:14:39 UTC 2001

SMILEY (1964) (continued)

   See the NEW YORK HERALD TRIBUNE, 25 November 1964, pg. 44, col. 2.  There's a HUGE SMILEY AD for Good Housekeeping that must be seen.
   There is one true smiley.  In the second smiley, the eyes are closed in smiling happiness.
   Harvey Ball claims to have done his work around this time, but this is a huge national ad, probably worked up months in advance, and probably without knowledge of Ball's work (then limited to 100 buttons).

EGG CREAM

   A nice article is "The Egg Cream Mystique" by Wallace Markfield, NEW YORK magazine of the SUNDAY HERALD TRIBUNE, 8 November 1964, pages 12-13.  Five people wrote letters in response.  From 22 November 1964, NEW YORK magazine of the SUNDAY HERALD TRIBUNE, pg. 22, col. 2:

To the Editor:
   Allow me to enlighten you on a few facts.
   We are in business since 1892.  We started in at Stanton-Lewis Streets on the lower East Side.  About 1900, my father originated egg cream chocolate.  We made all our syrups, fresh strawberry, then cherry, pineapple and our finest (and the _world's_ finest) _orange_ syrup.  Sodas in those days were 2 cents a 15 oz. glass.  For 1 cent you got seltzer with a little syrup on top.  Chocolate was 2 cents, and egg cream (pure, cream and eggs, proportioned in a batch of syrup, not an egg to each glass) was 3 cents.  There were no pumps to keep syrup in.  We used gallon bottles.
Sincerely,
EMANUEL AUSTER
Proprietor, Auster's
Manhattan

THE WAY IT IS (continued)

   From the NEW YORK HERALD TRIBUNE, 16 November 1964, pg. 23, col. 1:

_JIMMY BRESLIN_
_The Way It Is_

WELFARE COLLEGE

   From the NEW YORK HERALD TRIBUNE, 24 November 1964, pg. 6, col. 2:

_Group Set to Deal With 121st St. "Welfare College"_
(...)  The building has become one of the city's many "welfare colleges," a slum dwelling tenanted largely by relief cases where the tenants learn through necessarily the techniques of dealing with the Welfare Department.

THE GAME

   For you Yalies out there (like I haven't done enough for you), from the NEW YORK HERALD TRIBUNE, 22 November 1964, section 4, pg. 2, col. 1:

_A Great Day for THE Game...A Great Game It Was_
(...)  The Yales and the Harvards couldn't have asked for a better day for THE GAME, as they call it here in Old New England.

GLOBAL MARKETING

   From the NEW YORK HERALD TRIBUNE, section 5, 22 November 1964, pg. 9, col. 1:

_It's "Global Marketing"--_
_A Sweeping New Idea_
By George F. W. Telfer
   ON THE LIPS of practically every leading industrialist today is the expression "global marketing."  This relatively ne concept has swept the international business community, and caused revolutionary changes in marketing techniques.

PRIME RATE

   From the NEW YORK HERALD TRIBUNE, 24 November 1964, pg. 31, col. 2:

   One key rate--the so-called prime rate--may not, however, be raised immediately, at least in a direct way, according to money experts.

("So-called" in 1964?--ed.)

HACKERS

   "Growing Up In Fairfield County" is in NEW YORK magazine of the SUNDAY HERALD TRIBUNE, 22 November 1964, pg. 15.  The types growing up are (as illustrated): Greasers, Hackers, Beats, Government Kids, Sophisticates, Athletes, and Blobs.
   From Col. 2:

   There are the "hackers," who get into trouble, but not enough to get kicked out of school.