reservoir.

ANNE V. GILBERT avgilbert at PRODIGY.NET
Tue Apr 17 23:41:40 UTC 2001

To all:

> Lots of us recognize syllable-end ~oir as requiring the 'wah', 'wahr'
> pronunciation, not so much as faux French, but as a real English rule.
There
> are not too many words with this, but voir dire, boudoir, film noir,
savoir
> faire, memoir, and avoirdupois come to mind.
>
> For myself, I wobble between a Frencified form and reservore.

I guess these pronunciations must depend on the part of the country you come
from or live in now.  Because I've *never* heard the "wah" ending for any of
these words around here. . . . Of course my experience is limited, but
that's another story.
Anne G