Ski Bum; Ski Bunny; Mogul; Mambo; Fanny Pack; Hot Dog; Egg; Big Apple

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Apr 23 23:50:46 UTC 2001

SKIM BUM

   From SKI, November 1955, pg. 42, col. 2:

   Just who these gals were isn't clear but they may have a connection with the local ballad, "I Met a Snow-bunny at Aspen, Colorado, and She Made a Ski Bum out of Me."

   "The Oldest Ski Bum," about Leon Vart, is in SKI, March 1965, pg. 25, col. 3.

SKI BUNNY

   I don't know what the next HDAS will have.
   Another cite is an ad in SKI, February 1964, pg. 26, col. 1:

_APRES SKI_
_RECIPES_
from Knorr Soups
(definitely not for ski bunnies)

MOGUL

   OED has 1961?
   From SKI, December 1956, pg. 91, col. 1:

_Mad River moguls_
   The moguls at Mad River Glen, Waitsfield, this season will be carved out of pure snow, a quasi form of self-expression, by skiers uninfluenced by the shape or terrors of underlying bumps, holes, rocks, stumps or other abrupt irregularities.

   From SKI, March 1959, pg. 47, col. 1:

_Mogel, Mogul, Bump_
Sirs:
   Before the word "mogul" becomes too fixed in the skier's vocabulary, it might be worthwhile to investigate it a little.
   The dictionary gives three meanings for mogul:  (1) a person of Mongolian race, (2) a great personage, (3) a type of locomotive.
   The Sierra Club Ski Mountaineers have been using the word for the past twenty-five years or so as "mugel" (pronounced moogle), meaning a small bump or hummock on a ski course.  It is used in the title of their news letter "Mugelnoos."
   Presumably the word "mugel" is of German extraction and may be a slang word.  Are there any Germans among us who can trace the word's descent?
Hugh McClellan
Long Beach, Calif.
 "Mugel" is a German word--dialect rather than slang--meaning "a hummock or bump."  The American spelling "mogul" is an interesting example of folk etymology--Ed.

MAMBO

   From SKI, November 1962, pg. 68, col. 2:

_COME_
_MAMBO_
_WITH_
_ME_
   By Stein Eriksen
   Style is the personal element in your skiing that makes you look like you and no one else.  It's a sort of trademark with me to mix my swinging turns (otherwise known as "the mambo") and a dash of aerial leaping, with my more conventional skiing.

WEDELN

   This is much discussed in SKI, October 1956, pg. 33+, and SKI, December 1956, pg. 16+.

FANNY PACK

   OED has 1971 for this abomination (normally called "bum-bag").
   From SKI, February 1959, pg. 53, col. 1:

_HANDY "FANNY-PAC"_
   Just the right size for carrying personal items is the "Fanny-Pac" offered by Trans World Airlines.

HOT DOG

   "Hot dog" skiing followed the surfing "hot dog" by about a decade.  I haven't spotted it in the 1960s, but I didn't look closely at the last three years (ran out of time).  I know "hot dog" skiing is there in the 1970s.
   SKI, January 1964, pg. 50, "_Hot-Shot Look for the Junior Set_."
   SKI, February 1964, pg. 35, has an ad for Head Skis that begins "Hot?  Sure, we have hot skis..."
   SKI, December 1965, pg. 31, mentions "The Display Artist" where "hot dog" would normally be.
   The following doesn't look like a "hot dog."  From a SWISSAIR ad in SKI, September 1969, pg. 98, col. 1:

   Virgin snow.  Without clutter.  Without lift lines that look like a peace march.  Without chunks of overboiled hot dogs dotting the area.

EGG

   From SKI, February 1963, pg. 86, col. 2:

_REFINING THE_
_"EGG" POSITION_
(...)  The "egg" position, publicized by the French team at Squaw Valley, actually was not new to downhill skiers.  American racers Ralph Miller and Bill Beck had great success with it as far back as 1952.  However, experience has made certain refinements possible.

BIG APPLE

   From SKI, December 1963, pg. 93:

_AN APPLE_
_A NIGHT_
(...)
BIG APPLE
1/2 of a baked apple (canned)
1 oz. Laird's Bonded Applejack
3 oz. apple juice, warmed
Pinch of powdered ginger, optional
   Heat apple juice and ginger to simmer in a small pan.  Scald a thick-sided, heat resistant Old Fashioned glass by filling with boiled water, then emptying.  Now put in the baked apple half, with just a little of the syrup.  Apple should be at room temperature.  Add liquor to glass and ignite with long handled fireplace match.  Pour warmed apple juice into glass.  Don't try to slug this down.  Sip slowly, and spoon up the liquor-drenched apple.

SKIER'S DICTIONARY

   The terms (with some humorous definitions) from SKI, November (1956?  Copy is illegible!), pg. 108, col. 2:

Base; Binding; Boot press; Cellolix; Chair lift; Cornice; Counter rotation; Crevasse; Diagonal tension; Fall line; Granular snow; Hop christie; Jump turn; Kandahar--tape recorded laughter; Mitts--series of races; Parallel christie; Pomalift; Rotation; Ruade--not nice; Schuss--after-ski boots; Skol!--class of students; Snow plow; Stemming; Sweater; T-bar; Telemark; Vorlage; Windup.

SKIER'S GLOSSARY

   More terms (and humorous definitions) are in SKI, December 1963, pg. 203, col. 1:

Bongo Board; Camber; Chairlift; Christiana; Fall Line; Gelandesprung; Parka; Reverse Shoulder; Ruade--a French pastry; Safety Binding; Schuss--German for boots, e.g., "I vonder vot I did mit mein odder pair of schuss."; Sitzmark--currency used in Bavaria to pay for lift tickets; Slalom--what Arabs do when greeting each other.  Handy when sand skiing in the Sahara; Snowplow; Vorlage; Wedeln.