English as a lingua franca

Sat Apr 28 21:15:43 UTC 2001

The first use of the term Lingua Franca (marked now with caps), as I recall
from creole studies, was in fact to refer to the mixed trade language used
around the Mediterranean area in the first few centuries C.E. and derived
mainly from Latin and its already evolving dialects (hence the Arabs'
notion that it was the language of the generalized northern or Frankish
tribes), mixed considerably with Arabic, Turkish, Greek and other regional
tongues.  Thus, any such useful language used for contact purposes has
since been called a lingua franca (now with lower case).