Oregon Spectator (1846-1854) in Poole's Plus

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Wed Aug 1 00:25:54 UTC 2001

   A recent check of the computer databases shows some additions.
   Historical Newspapers Online looks like it has full text of the TIMES of London.
   Poole's Plus added the index to the OREGON SPECTATOR (1846-1854).  The NYPL has only two days of this, but the Yale University library has a run of it.
   Some highlights:

NUGGET (OED has 1852):
Little Co--discovers 10-lb gold nugget in Scott's region
October 21, 1851, page 2, column 5
Gold and Gold Mining, California--return miner from Shasta region tells of nugget worth $3300
June 5, 1851, page 2, column 1

GOLDEN GATE:
Fremont, John Charles--Surveys and Explorations--Alta California states name "Golden Gate" 1st appeared on Fremont's map, 1848
October 17, 1850, page 3, column 1

NICKNAMES:
California--nicknames
November 21, 1850, page 2, column 1

GOLD RUSH (OED has 1893!):
California Star--expects to suspend publication because of Sacramento valley gold rush
August 10, 1848, page 2, column 3
(Several entries this date and many other dates--ed.)

POLKA:
Balls and Dancing-ball given aboard Modeste; reels, country dances, jigs, figure 8s danced; polka may be introduced
February 19, 1846, page 2, column 4

ENGLISH:
English Language--phrourase (sic), "all talk and no cider"
February 4, 1847, page 2, column 1
English Language--humorous definitions of words used regarding claims
May 13, 1847, page 2, column 3
English Language--"Cradles and bedsteds!"--expletive
August 5, 1847, page 2, column 1
English Language--"doggeries"--liquor dispensaries or saloons
December 13, 1849, page 2, column 4
English Language--editorial, describing entertainment, says, "Affair passed off just like a mice"
October 17, 1850, page 2, column 1
English Language--Oregon Spectator says if it has offended it "peters"
January 16, 1851, page 2, column 5
English Language--"chalked our hat"--free passage on steamer(?)
March 13, 1851, page 2, column 3
English Language--Alta California, which interlards eds with Spanish, objects to "jargon" in Oregon papers
August 19, 1851, page 2, column 4
English Language--editorial prefers "pedal extremities" to "lower limbs" in referring to women's legs
September 2, 1851, page 1, column 1
English Language--"1 bit" used regarding money
September 2, 1851, page 2, column 1
English Language--"ratting"--employment of scabs
September 30, 1851, page 2, column 3
English Language--"forking over"--paying money
October 21, 1851, page 2, column 1
English Language--"consider our beaver (hat) touched"--equivalent to "we tip our hat to"
October 28, 1851, page 2, column 2
English Language--"kighting"--speed in transit
October 28, 1851, page 2, column 2
English Language--"red-eye"--for liquor
February 24, 1852, page 2, column 4
English Language--California--"fandangos" applied to social functions as well as to dances
June 10, 1847, page 3, column 1
English Language--"rhino"--money
November 11, 1847, page 2, column 3

WORD:
Literature--Humor--odd deinitions of words pub
September 9, 1851, page 2, column 2
Poems--Authors--Lee, Alice G: "There's No Such Word as Fail"
February 24, 1848, page 4, column 1

DIALECT:
Literature--Humor--letter from "Solomon Moses Skiler", in dialect
October 17, 1850, page 2, column 6

INDIAN:
Indians--Language--"Philom" discusses pronunciation, spelling
April 4, 1850, page 4, column 1
Indians--Language--"Alaim" for anti-Amers (?)
December 12, 1850, page 1, column 2
Indians--Language--"Wauwawing" for talking over
March 2, 1852, page 2, column 2