Screamatorium

Wed Aug 1 15:52:02 UTC 2001

A graduate student here writes me, in part:

"I am trying to research a popular amusement that may or may not have
existed called a "Screamatorium."
"I have a few reasons to belive that it may have existed.
"First in the NY Times (4/21/40) there is a small article about a
rejected proposal from the NY World's Fair. They describe the
concession and why they rejected it. It sounds like a press release
from the Fair itself.
"I have searched the NYWF archives at ny public for three weeks and
because of its horrible organization it seems it is impossible to find
the document. (They do keep rejected proposals but they are scattered
throughout boxes in a miscellaneous fashion.)
"Second, there was a report of a screamatorium in California that
Kruschev may have visited in California because Disney would not let
him in.  [This naturally would be about 20 years after the Screamtorium
that didn't make it into the 1940 World's Fair.]
"I have also searched the NY Post and NY Daily News all around the 1940
date."

Anyone have any thoughts?

GAT

George A. Thompson
Author of A Documentary History of "The African
Theatre", Northwestern Univ. Pr., 1998.