Dijon Mustard (1939); Historical Newspapers Online

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Wed Aug 1 17:56:40 UTC 2001

HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS ONLINE

   I don't know what's wrong with them.  When I tried HNO yesterday, I saw "full text" for the TIMES of London.  But, as Fred reported, it doesn't work.

   Not in OED.  Not in M-W.
   It's so well-known, it's just "Dijon" now.  People know it's not cheese or chocolate.  It's mustard.
   From Clementine Paddleford column (Did she pass Shakespeare yet?) in the NEW YORK HERALD TRIBUNE, 7 March 1939, pg. 22, col. 6:

   MUSTARD SMACK--Mustard connoisseurs will want to sample the mustards coming from Fance.  Sand-colored is the Dijon mustard with a clean flavor.  This comes from Dijon, a place that is saturated with a mingling to two smells, the gingerbread baking and pepperlike sharpness of mustard seed fresh ground from the mill, a sharp, sweet smell that gathers in little clouds to catch one unawares and almost takes the breath away.  The Bordeaux mustard is mild and dark as cocoa and not at all to our fancy, sweet as if molasses had found its way to the jar.  But be your own judge.  Those who know mustard say the dark brown or black variety (Col. 7--ed.) of seed makes much the finer condiment, giving a true piquant flavor because of certain volatile oils, none of which are present in the white mustard seed.

(But is it good on a hot dog?--ed.)