I can tell you're not from here...

Drew Danielson drew.danielson at CMU.EDU
Thu Aug 2 14:25:52 UTC 2001

David Bergdahl wrote:

> This summer I was in Greenville, ME on Moosehead Lake where the summer
> people are called "from away" by the natives.  Yesterday a student in my
> online discussion group wrote:
>
> O.K. a lot of you people "from off" are discussing the Apppalachian
> dialect found in Athens. I know that I am not the only native
> Appalachian. Why? Because I've heard at least two people talking who are
> obviously from South of Hocking Hills.
> --
> Previously I had not heard either expression.  Are there other variants
> across the country for native: non-native inhabitants?  That might be a
> useful thread to follow.

I worked with a woman of Watermen extraction years ago (she'd be in her
mid-to-late 60s by now), who was from King & Queen County, Virginia.
She referred to non-natives who settled in  the Tidewater region as
"come heres", as in "not from here - they come here".  I can't attest to
anyone else using the term, but she claimed that it was common where she
was from.