grammatical error

Mon Aug 6 12:16:19 UTC 2001

arnold,

This smells like a oncer or a slip to me. We've looked at (too many)
hours of folk linguistic comment on language and have never
encountered reference to "facts" as "grammatical," although, as Nancy
Niedzielski and I show in Chapter 4 of Folk Linguistics (Mouton de
Gruyter, 1999, shameless advertising) nonlinguists do not hesitate to
take considerable semantic liberties with sentences which they find
"grmmatical" fault with. That is, the preservation of the orgiinal
semantics seems less important to them than the grammatical repair. A
linguist, of course, would not count a correction as a correct
correction unless it preserved the original sense (or one of the
original senses if ambiguous).

dInIs

--
Dennis R. Preston