"High Tech, High Wreck"

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Aug 6 21:38:44 UTC 2001

   From today's WALL STREET JOURNAL, 6 August 2001, pg. C2, col. 2:

   Now, he again is focusing on safer stocks.  "We aren't looking for the blowout results that we used to see," he says, "because, as they say, high tech, hi wreck."

   Although this person said the words, it looks like the WSJ wrote them down wrong.  A Dow Jones database check using "hi" tech shows only this article.  "High" tech with "high wreck" shows plenty of hits.
   The phrase is a little different than "tech wreck," and it dates from at least the 1980s.  A FINANCIAL WORLD story, 9-6-1988, was headlined: "High Tech, High Wreck."