Fortune Cake (1940)

James A. Landau JJJRLandau at AOL.COM
Tue Aug 7 13:18:45 UTC 2001

In a message dated 8/6/01 8:11:37 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Bapopik at AOL.COM
writes:

>    Both OED and M-W have 1962 for "fortune cookie."

"fortune cookie" can be found in the title and in the body of the short story
"MS. Found in a Chinese Fortune Cookie" by C. (Cyril) M. Kornbluth, which was
published in _The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction_ issue of July
1957, and republished in two anthologies published before 1962:
Best from F&SF 7, Anthony Boucher, 1958, Doubleday, hardcover
The Marching Morons, C. M. Kornbluth, 1959, Ballantine,  paperback
Unfortunately I do not currently have a copy of this story, so I cannot give
any quotations from the text.

      - Jim Landau