"staties" = 'state police officers'

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Tue Aug 7 20:38:25 UTC 2001

I've seen it in fiction. I've heard it only a very few times, in the
Midwest, always as a contrast to "the locals" or "the Feds" or so ... not
always police, perhaps tax auditors or something like that.

Web glance shows "staties" = "state police" concentrated in MA with a
number apparently from elsewhere also. I also see two cases of "staties" =
"state foresters" (one from NY, one from ?) and one where "staties" appears
to mean simply "state government persons/employees" (from HI).

-- Doug Wilson