Not even X, much more Y

Mark Mandel Mark_Mandel at DRAGONSYS.COM
Fri Aug 10 16:52:25 UTC 2001

"Douglas G. Wilson" <douglas at NB.NET> scripsit in re: Not even X, much more
Y:

W. Shakespeare, "Much Ado about Nothing" (1599 I think), Act III, Scene III:

<<
Verg[es]. You have been always called a merciful man, partner.
Dog[berry]. Truly, I would not hang a dog by my will, much more a man who
hath any honesty in him.

<<<<<

Dogberry is the major clown's role in "Much Ado", and his perversions of
language are a significant part of his humor. I wouldn't put much reliance
on this piece of evidence. Here's his parting speech. (Thanks to Project
Gutenberg, http://www.gutenberg.org/ -- although with unfortunate forced
word-wrap, which I have corrected here.)

Dog. I leave an arrant knave with your worship, which I beseech
  your worship to correct yourself, for the example of others.
  God keep your worship! I wish your worship well. God restore you
  to health! I humbly give you leave to depart; and if a merry
  meeting may be wish'd, God prohibit it! Come, neighbour.

                  Mark A. Mandel : Senior Linguist
            Dragon Systems, a Lernout & Hauspie company
 320 Nevada St., Newton, MA 02460, USA : http://www.dragonsys.com