"My children are in the service"

P2052 at AOL.COM P2052 at AOL.COM
Sat Aug 11 21:00:53 UTC 2001

It means, "in the military" and is used by many African-American who are
ambivalent about the nature of this "service" (proud of the child(ren)'s
being "in the service of country" but apprehensive about what the
child(ren)'s fate might be.)  I've used the phrase often in reference to my
nephew.  I can remember hesistating, though, before saying, "He's in the . .
. military," as if this less specific term would connote a less specific
activity than would "army."                                          P-A-T