"Shut your eyes"

Baker, John JBaker at STRADLEY.COM
Sun Aug 12 23:28:39 UTC 2001

        The version I grew up with (southern Ky., 1960s) was

Hold out your hands [or open your mouth] and close your eyes
And I'll give you something to make you wise.

        The wisdom was that you shouldn't close your eyes when someone is
putting something in your hands or mouth.  Typically, for the hands, it
would be a mouse or a toad.

John Baker