debate on "you did good"

Tue Aug 14 21:05:34 UTC 2001

The info-childes list (on first language acquisition) has been discussing
morphological regularization by children, and the interpretation of phrases
like "you did good" came up.  I've added a couple of my own comments plus
rejoinders to them.  What do you all think (ordinary) people mean when they
use this phrase?  As usual, start at the bottom; I've tried to keep these
in sequence.

>Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 13:07:41 -0400
>From: Beverly Flanigan <flanigan at oak.cats.ohiou.edu>
>Subject: RE: Bogoyvalenskiy, D
>Sender: info-childes at mail.talkbank.org
>To: jonmach at informix.com
>Cc: info-childes at mail.talkbank.org

K. W-Q wrote:
Don't you think that 'you did good' comes from 'you did something good'
which is ultimately 'you did something that is good'? It's not an adverb in
the sense of you did it well, but an adjective with ellipsis of 'something'.

Kate Wolfe-Quintero
Associate Professor, PhD Program in SLA and MA Program in ESL
Department of Second Language Studies
University of Hawai`i at Manoa
Director, Hawai'i English Language Program
1395 Lower Campus Rd. MC 13-1, Honolulu, HI 96822
email: katewq at hawaii.edu
phone: (808) 956-9909
fax: (808) 956-2802