One-Way Street (1910?)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Fri Aug 17 07:58:03 UTC 2001

ONE-WAY STREET

POLICE OFFICER:  This is a one-way street!
DRIVER:  But officer, I was only going one way!

   OED has 1914?
   From the NEW YORK HERALD TRIBUNE, 12 December 1941, pg. 28, col. 6:

_McCarthy Dead:_
_Set Up 1st N. Y._
_One-Way Street_
(...)  Mr. (Patrick--ed.) McCarthy, who was in charge of all traffic in New York, recalled at his retirement in 1936 that the first one-way street in New York City was Duane Street.  Mr. McCarthy designated it a one-way street in 1910, seven years after he started traffic work.

(I couldn't verify this through the NY TIMES INDEX, but perhaps the NYC Archives has info--ed.)

SLANG

   From THIS WEEK magazine, NYHT, 23 November 1941, pg. 2, col. 4:

_SLANG._  A friend in the R.A.F. sends us a report on the current state of slang in the British Isles:
   Newest among the youngsters is "wizard"--everything from a pretty girl to a good "flip" over Germany on a bombing raid is "absolutely wizard."
   "I was shot down in flames" means a man has fallen hard for a girl.  Jumpy people who have fled to the country instead of sticking in London are "flees" or "flitterbugs."  A parachute is a "brolly" (nursery word for umbrella).
   In the feminine department: WOmen drivers are called "Gerties."  Wireless operators and teleprinters are "whistlers."  Cooks are "rising Marys."  Clerks are "paper rustlers."  And the WAAFS (Women's Auxiliary Air Force who assist the R.A.F.) are "spitfire kittens."

JAWBREAKERS

   OED?  Mariani gives no date.
   From the NYHT, 8 December 1941, pg. 17, col. 6:

_Hand-Made Since '50, These_
   _Jawbreakers Come in_
   _Many Flavors and Forms_

HUBRIS/HUBRICITY

   From the NYHT, editorials, 14 October 1941, pg. 10, col. 3:

   The Greeks had a word for it which can be translated after a fashion.  The good old Liddell & Scott does so, thus: "_Hubris_--wanton violence, arising from pride of strength."

   From the NYHT, letters, 18 November 1941, pg. 28, col. 7:

   The man possessed by hubricity (why not coin that word?) is bursting with egotism, grows devil's horns of effrontery, flouts all moral laws and (this for the ancient Greeks) rules Olympus.

"HOT DOG"

   From "Hot Diggety!" in Wally's Wagon, THIS WEEK, NYHT, 9 November 1941, pg. 29, col. 3:

   "Do you know, Wally, the meat packers agreed in 1922 _not_ to say "hot dogs" any more?  They didn't feel it was appropriate for this great nation's favorite picnic an' between-meals dish to carry such an unappetizin' name!"

BOOTLEG

   RHHDAS has 1946 for "bootleg play."
   From the NYHT, 9 December 1941, pg. 36, cols. 3-7 headline:

_Brooklyn "Bootleg" Play Gains Seven Yards Against New York Giants_

(That's it.  I just read that the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor!--ed.)