"PC" wrong in Sunday NY TImes

Ittaob at AOL.COM Ittaob at AOL.COM
Mon Aug 20 04:00:11 UTC 2001

In a message dated 8/19/01 6:14:14 PM, Bapopik at aol.com writes:

<<

   As I posted on the American Dialect Society web site in January 2001 (see
comments there by Fred Shapiro; "personal computer" was also mentioned in his
recent NEW YORK TIMES story):

Your "Personal Computer" for Higher Creativity

Ad for EAI Electronic Associates, Inc.

Long Branch, NJ

DATAMATION

May/June 1959, pg. 29 >>

    While Barry is undoubtedly correct, the product EAI was selling was in no
way a computer intended to be used by individuals for personal use. "Personal
computer" was a clever marketing line, but the company sold so-called
"analog" computers to business and academic customers for work-related uses.
I know this because during the 70s I worked at a law firm that had EAI as a
client.

Steve Boatti