/zUmzUm/

Sat Aug 25 12:46:11 UTC 2001

Hmmmmm. How about this instead: the greter the sonority of the
following consonant, the less likely a vowel is to maintain "tense"
(including rounding) characteristics. "American boys" also follow
this rule, and younger Americans seem to be employing it even more
generally. E.g., try saying "cool" these days with a tense vowel; you
might as well say "hep" instead of "hip."

Note, however, the lexicalization of such pronunciations in areas
where the process is not so advanced. This looks to me like
"phonological slang," an idea little explored among us. For example,
here are plenty of folk not involved in the Southern Vowel Shift who
"like" to say "she-it" for "shit," but wuld never say "be-it" for
"bit" (unless involved in a more than single lexsical item imitation
of southern (US) speech).

dInIs

--
Dennis R. Preston