"The Vanishing Verb" in TV news

Sat Aug 25 17:40:25 UTC 2001

I just listened to the excerpt too and noticed, as Mai did, that the verb
isn't always absent (though it often is).  Instead, the progressive is used
but without 'be'.  As she notes, is it faster to say "Pres. Bush saying..."
than "Pres. Bush says/said"?  I don't buy the argument that this is "People
Speak," as Terence Smith said, but it may be taught in some style books
now, according to him.  The analogies with Shakespeare's "ellipticisms"
were bogus too; the quoted lines were simply exclamations, not full
sentences sans (partial) verbs.