Guayquil ("Panama") Hat (1818); Sucre & Dollars

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Dec 2 00:46:06 UTC 2001

GUAYQUIL ("PANAMA") HAT (continued)

A NARRATIVE OF THE BRITON'S VOYAGE TO PITCAIRN'S ISLAND:
INCLUDING AN INTERESTING SKETCH OF THE PRESENT STATE OF THE BRAZILS AND OF SPANISH SOUTH AMERICA
by John Shillibeer
Law and Whittaker, London
1818

Pg. 114:
   The trade carried on here is considerable from the different countries of Mexico, Quito and Chili: from whence they are supplied with pitch, tar and sulphur, with wines, spirits, wood, cocoa and Guayquil hats.

(OED has 1833 for "Panama straw hat," which was probably manufactured in Guayaquil, Ecuador--ed.)

SUCRE & DOLLARS

   OED states that the "sucre" is the monetary unit of Ecuador.  This is wrong.  It's U.S. dollars.  I got off the plane and asked my tour guide about the exchange rate, and got a big stare.
   My tour guide often complained that U.S. money is difficult for Spanish speakers to understand.  The dollars are all green and all of the same size.  A dime says "ONE DIME"--whatever that is.  People thought it was a penny because it's so small!
   I received an old Susan B. Anthony dollar coin, probably because someone thought it was a quarter.
   If you visit Ecuador, try not to use their money.  Much of it is illegally printed in Colombia.  Seen in Banos was a sign:  "CHANGE DOLLARS."  Don't do it!