amber/yellow lights

Drew Danielson andrew.danielson at CMU.EDU
Mon Dec 3 14:40:52 UTC 2001

74,948,050

Paul Ivsin wrote:
[...]
> ticket. Then, seeing as the physicist would have to be driving about a
> quarter of the speed of light to see a red signal as green, the judge fined
> him 269 million dollars for speeding, one dollar for each kilometer per hour
> over the limit."

Errata?:
If the necessary speed for a perceptual shift of red to green is indeed
0.25 c, the fine (assuming a 65 km/h limit) would likely have been
closer to $74,948,050.

If the fine was levied in dollars while the infraction was measured in
km/h, are we to assume that the person was driving in Canada, or in
Australia?  I suppose that can only be determined if the direction of
the Coriolis deflection is known....