DEE-fense

Benjamin Fortson fortson at FAS.HARVARD.EDU
Mon Dec 3 18:38:05 UTC 2001

A semi-related question: does anybody know anything about the
pronunciation of "defendant" with fully-realized ash (rather than schwa)
in the last syllable? I get the impression it's a Northeast (NYC?)
lawyer/police-speak feature, presumably a spelling-pronunciation in
origin. I only heard it for the first time a couple of years ago in "Night
Falls on Manhattan" (1997), but I'm guessing it's probably been around a
while. Is it limited to law-enforcement authorities and legal
professionals in certain regions, or...?

Ben Fortson